Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tweet, space, or link?

Are you a member of a social network? Do you use Twitter, My Space, or LinkedIn? (Ok, I'm not an expert here, but I'm not sure if everyone even agrees that Twitter really is a social network. But I think it is)

Anyway, there are social networks cropping up all the time it seems, especially with the Web 2.0 Expo this week. I was excited about Visible Path after they were TechCrunched. But after a quick exploration of it yesterday, I'm less excited. Time will tell though... And one of the more interesting developments I've noticed is the Expo Cal/iCalico app being used for the Web 2.0 Expo. Now I'm not actually using it because I'm not at Web 2.0, but it still seems interesting.

And of course, everyone is Twittering. Well, not everyone. I'm not. I do have a Twitter account and a few friends on Twitter, but have never actually posted anything. I just can't seem with to come up with a compelling reason to tweet. I don't think anyone I know really cares about the specific details of what I'm up to, or what I'm thinking at an exact moment in time. But then again, I'm slow to adopt this stuff. Plus most of the people I know aren't on Twitter - yet. By the way, there are number of slick Twitter applications out there using Apollo. I personally like this one, and if I was actively using Twitter, I'd use this app.

There also have been a wide range of posts I've seen about LinkedIn recently. For example, this one. Now I actually find LinkedIn useful for tracking people I know, and most of the people I know are on LinkedIn. Just this morning I got a connection from a longtime colleague to connect with someone in my network. Not only do I hope that turns into a fruitful conversation, but it also led me to reconnect with him. And I'm using LinkedIn right now to try to connect with folks that have worked on similar projects to what I'm working on in the past.

So that leads to my questions associated with this post. Feel free to answer any or all of them, or just provide your comments.

  • Are you a fan of social networking? Why?
  • What social networking sites do you use?
  • Why should I Twitter?
  • And here's the biggie that I really hope a few folks will shed some light on. Do developers need better social networking capabilities?
Oh yeah, if you are curious, you can find me on LinkedIn here. And if I ever start using Twitter, you can find me here.

No comments: